You may have noticed a drop in the temperature recently, or even have come down with a seasonal cold. As the clouds loom large and the leaves turn yellow, let’s take a look at the autumn and winter plants to keep your pets away from…
Acorns are most dangerous before they’re fully ripe (when they’re still green), but it’s never good news if your dog eats an acorn.
Ingestion can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, abdominal pain, breathing difficulties and a loss of appetite. In extreme cases, you may find blood in faeces/vomit and swelling of the mouth and face.
Keep an eye on your dog when you’re walking through areas heavily populated with acorns, and if they do tuck into an acorn, contact us right away.
Conkers contain a substance called aesculin, which is toxic to our furry friends. The toxicity level is relatively low, but if your dog helps themselves to too many conkers without you knowing, symptoms can include vomiting and diarrhoea, abdominal pain, increased thirst, excessive drooling and general lethargy.
Other Parts ot the Horse Chestnut Tree
Aesculin can be found in all parts of the Horse Chestnut tree, even the leaves! If you and your pooch are out for an autumn stroll and you happen upon a tree with conkers dangling from it, the safest thing to do is to avoid the area as best you can.
If you suspect your pet has ingested conkers or if you spot any of the symptoms listed above, don’t hesitate to give us a call right away.
The Autumn Crocus
The Autumn Crocus may be beautiful, but it can cause severe vomiting, internal bleeding and even liver and kidney trouble. If you’re a pet owner, think twice before planting these in your garden!
Various autumn and winter berries, such as the Holly berry, are also poisonous to dogs. As with the other plants listed above, if you’re worried about your furry friend this autumn, don’t hesitate to give us a call!
Wishing you a happy autumn!